Re: [doc] Naughty Auto Transmission!! - Kangaroo Styleeeeee!

Re: [doc] Naughty Auto Transmission!! - Kangaroo Styleeeeee!

Craig, you can nut some of the bolts on the auto pan if you use longer
bolts. It's not elegant but it may sort the leak out. However unless
it's actually obviously not tight, check the bottom of the dipstick tube
itself. If this has been removed, it can be a pain in the wotsit to
re-seal. As long as it's driving, this will not leak. It's only when
left to stand after that the fluid level gradually rises - which is why
the dipstick is useless to actually measure fluid level when the car's
switched off.

Auto-to-manual conversion is not a cheap or simple job and involves
modification of the chassis (only slightly and would not prevent it
being reverted should you ever want to!) but the main problem is buying
a gearbox, clutch, clutch hydraulics (master, slave, line), pedal box,
shift linkage (which includes some parts no longer available from
Houston) and gearbox mounts (not available from Houston). You have to
make up an adapter plate for the gearshift to mount where the auto
shifter was. Putting a price on all this and the labour to swap it all
out would be painful :-) Several thousand, and that's -not- sourcing the
gearbox stateside. We have two partial gearboxes on the shelf from which
a good DeLorean box could be made - our gearbox guy is a bloody genius
and in Rich's car, it's a total hybrid.

As of today, all the gearshift linkage is installed and working on
#2727. The reason for the conversion is the rebuild of the engine to a
2.5 EFI twin turbo. Much of the parts were secondhand parts we had on
the shelf including most of the expensive items. The gearbox is a proper
DeLorean one built into a Renault 30 casing with a 25 turbo bellhousing,
25 turbo flywheel modified to a pattern readable by the custom ECU. The
block is the original DeLorean engine, and the turbo setup is the Island
twin turbo the car came with, with different pipework and (will have)
twin intercoolers. The crankshaft, pistons, heads and cams are all turbo
ones. It all looks very spangly right now! The engine is capable of over
a bar of boost and at one bar, horsepower should be around 250.

That line about the autos selling for a premium - no idea where it came
from but I did disagree with it when involved in the proof-read. I don't
think they get a premium over here because most people want manuals,
isn't that right? :-)

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk