[doc] Advice required - Classic Cars/Unleaded (not a DeLorean)

[doc] Advice required - Classic Cars/Unleaded (not a DeLorean)

Hi all,

just wondered if I could pick the brains of anyone out there with
experience of older classic cars.

I'm hoping to buy a rather gorgeous 1968 Sunbeam Rapier that I've
seen and the owner said that it had an alloy head so wasnt sure about
conversion to or if it was safe to run on unleaded petrol as it is
(its the 1725cc twin carburettor unit).  He said he just puts
unleaded in with an additive, but has hardly used the car so he's not
sure if he's doing it any harm or not.

Has anyone got experience of using 'drop in' fuel catalysts that are
advertised or whether it is ok to just use normal unleaded with a
fuel additive?  I dont really want to go to all the expense of having
the head redone with hardened valve seats and having to muck about
with the timing to overcome 'pinking'.  When I had my last 'old' car
(1960 Ford 100E Pop), I was told that because it wasnt doing many
miles, it didnt matter about putting unleaded in it because it had
had 40 years of carbon deposits so it wouldnt do it any harm - also,
you could still buy '4 star' then.

I'm not selling Flopsy btw, I'm just looking to add to my fleet :o)
I've actually always wanted an early 60's Consul Capri or Consul
Classic, but they are getting hard to find in good condition and
Capri's especially are fetching alot of money now :o(  (The Consul
Capri should not to be confused with the later Ford Capri I hasten to
add)

With any luck, if I do get the Rapier tomorrow, I'll be taking 'it'
(havent thought of a name yet) to a classic car show near Hull on
Sunday......uh oh, I've just heard about a Consul Classic that has
come up for sale near me....oh decisions decisions!!

Anyway, if anyone's got any info, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers all,

Claire
Cavalier
+ ????