[doc] Re: Practical Classics Magazine

The trouble is, the classic car arena is hugely subjective when it comes down to what a particular individual would call a "good" or even "great" car.

A case in point happened to me this morning: I was idly browsing the motoring classifieds in the Sunday papers at a friendâs house in London when I came across a dealer ad for an Italian sports car (which for the purposes of this exemplum shall remain nameless). The ad said that the car was an â05 reg with 6K miles on the clock, yet it had ALREADY had a new clutch fitted. Ok, fair enough, so clutches in high performance cars are subject to an enormous amount of strain, but in my opinion this sort of component failure is totally unacceptable for a Â75,000 sports car. However, in many peopleâs eyes this just âpar for the courseâ with an exotic. Itâs all subjective.

As far as Practical Classics goes, I can see where youâre coming from in terms of the apparent display of inconsistency in what the magazine thinks about the DMC-12, but Iâm *pretty* convinced that the buyerâs guide was written by a freelance journalist (that right, Martin?), whereas the article you alluded to was presumably written by a member of the Practical Classics editorial staff who, apparently, holds a very different view of the car. Irritating to a DMC fan? Yes. A mistake? Probably not, sadly.

If you read the âstaff sagasâ section of the Practical Classics, the various journalists quite often slag off each otherâs cars. One could argue that overall this is a very democratic form of journaliam: various opinions are presented and you can decide whether you agree or not. Chances are, most readers will already have an opinion about the car in question anyway. After all, the classic car arena is hugely subjective. Which is where I came inâ

Phil Peters
DOC# 84
VIN# 4400