  Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:44:35 +0000 (GMT)
From: Nick Tomlinson <nickandkathryntomlinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [doc] Cooling fans wont come on!
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Remove the 2 connectors from the otterstat switch and put a link between them (paperclip/ short length of wire) The fans should run when you put the key in position 2 (to energise the MAIN Relay).

  If they don't then run the engine and put the air conditioning on.
  If the fans now run then it is the circuit from the otterstat switch so check fuse no. 5

  If none of the fans are running at all then check the cooling fan relay (bottom row of relays 3rd from the left next to the blue fan fail socket)
  I am assuming you have replaced the fan fial unit with the 3 wire 'fix' and are not using a 3rd party fan-zilla or equivalent.

  If they still won't run check you get 12v at one of the pins underneath the car at the front that supplies the fans. Check the earths around here too.
  To check fan rotation use a fused supply from the jump start battery bost and connect this to the unplugged fan at the front and use an earth point on the chassis to connect a wire to the other. This will check the fan itself.

  To manually wire a switch, wire the switch in parallel to the otterstat switch.

  I am assuming that the engine is hot temperature wise to switch on the otterstat temperature switch.

  Good luck.

  NickT.

Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hey
My cooling fans will not come on. They worked perfectly when the car went into the garage last week. Any advice? (relay, otterstat maybe?)

Can someone tell me how to wire up a switch so I can manually turn them on? For peace of mind, dont trust my coolant system at all.

Thanks
Thomas McAuley
Vin #4087
Belfast