Re: [doc] Shock Absorbers

Surely you mean Camber not Castor....

  NickT.

Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Here I am *wave*, DMC hat on.

Front springs on rear = bad idea. They fit fine because they are the
same diameter, but the geometry and weight of the front end of the car
is very different from the rear, so why people expect the handling not
to be affected by a softer rate spring on the arse end of an already
arse-happy car is slightly baffling to me... it was a simple way to drop
the rear of the car before adjustable shocks came out.

There's been a lot of discussion on aftermarket shocks on the US lists.
The choice is Marty Maier's set which are off-the-shelf Monroe and
Gabriel's and are soft (and cheap). Houston's would seem to retain a
sporty ride whick some of the americans don't seem to like.

For an idea of exactly -how- low John's car is, would be to say that you
can't get the jack under the rear crossmember. Our jack needs a
clearance of less than 3". That's too low IMO. The goal should be to
keep the suspension arms level and we get there with just half an inch
on the adjusters. This limits the trouble caused by the castor - The
rear arms are unequal length and dropping the ride heaight kicks out the
lower edge of the wheel. This can be countered with an adjustable lower
arm - and we're working on that.

Of course, you can have as much adjustment as you like with our own
performance shocks. Lots to play with on both rebound and rear ride
height, and it takes less than 30 secs to readjust all four when the
car's on the ground. The rebound goes from "I've just hit a pebble and
hurt my back" through to "am I driving on a waterbed?".

www.delorean.co.uk -> Parts -> Suspension and steering

Martin
DMC Ltd

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk