[doc] OFF TOPIC: Question About Microsoft SQL Transaction Log......

[doc] OFF TOPIC: Question About Microsoft SQL Transaction Log......

To computer geeks !

  Can anyone help me with an issue I have with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 service pack 3 ?

  I have an industrial system that obtains data from SQL where I have data replicated to my SCADA PC (via my router to France) which I query to obtain data from SAP for product runs for starting conditions on the main conveyoy tracking PLC.

  Now, this thing is all working hunky dory through all my routing and firewall configurations, but the Microsoft SQL transaction log on my database has grown rapidly over the last 3 months from 4Mb to 12Gb !

  I have tried shrinking this database down through MS SQL Enterprise Manager but to no avail. The other MS Technet articles are a bit vague on this subject.

  Removing this log and re-starting MS SQL (to try and invoke a new log), makes SQL not work correctly so I have had to go back.

  Luckily I specified a large enough raid 5 disk container on the dell server for historical trend growth so I estimate I've got 3 months logging to go but I would rather keep this log file as small as possible.

  Any suggestions as to how I can make this log smaller?
  I don't mind implementing a SQL Script to run periodically to perform this task but I am unsure how to do this.

  Sorry this sounds too boring...........

  Thanks in advance,

  NickT.