From: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Chris Hawes
Sent: 27 October 2005 07:42
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [doc] nitrous delorean?

A Chevy converted DeLorean in the States has NOS fitted.  The PRV however is
very well suited for NOS being a V6.
http://photos.noroads.com/dcs2004?id=499 as photographed at Pigeon Forge (I
think more can be found on Tamir's website:-
www.entermyworld.com

NOS
Nitrous Oxide kit (only one to be insured by Adrian Flux). Trevor runs this
company and would be the one to talk to in regard to Top Gear (they did the
Jag that eventually drove off a Destroyer into the North Sea and became the
tomb for Stig MKI.
www.wizardsofnos.com

For re-fills:-
www.nitrousoxidesupplies.co.uk

For DIY NOS:-
http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/

Rotary powered DeLorean
www.eliseusa.com/rotary.shtml
I emailed the chap that did the conversion (he sold the car a while back
now) and his response is below:-

Re: Rotary DeLorean 28/10/04
Hello Chris,

The 20b engine is a 2.0 Liter, 3-rotor rotary wankel engine, 300HP, and
297ft-lb of torque at 3000RPM.  It was originally sold in a very large
heavy car, the eunos  cosmo JC, sold by Mazda in 1990-1996 in Japan and
Australia.  It resembles the 929.  The miata (mx-5) is known as the "eunos
roadster" some places.

The Cosmo was available only with an automatic transmission.  Pics are
available at http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg09.htm with some more
specs.  The horsepower figures are 'claimed' at 280hp because that is the
legal limit for street cars in Japan.  Independent testing found that the
20b is consistently ~300hp.

Regarding what I'd change if I did it again, I'd probably use the 13b,
2-rotor.  Parts are MUCH easier to find, and it would fit in the Delorean
better.  The 20b and the extra gear in the g50 transmission ended up making
the unit very long, only fitting in the D frame with significant
modification.  The 5-speed box or the 2 rotor (one rotor and side-housing
shorter ~6") would make a better fit.  It's also lighter.  They also have
much less electronics than the 20b, which came in a state-of-the-art luxury
car in the 90s (read, thousands of wires).

Turbos are often used more than superchargers because they take away less
power to operate well.  They're also more often used with
small-displacement engines.  The import engines generally rev to higher
RPMs, and turbos are more effective/efficient than superchargers at higher
RPMs.

Adding NOS to your car is probably a reasonable modification that can be
done without spending the time and money on conversion.  Also, resale value
on conversions are JUST NOT very good in general, and are horrific with the
Delorean.  You can pick up a nice "wet" NOS setup for ~$600USD, and you
could expect a reasonably increase in HP.  You just have to be willing to
change NOS bottles when they go empty, which is only as fun as you can make
it.

I don't think I'd put the NOS in the trunk though, that seems a little far
away from the point of use.  I'm not sure if there is a reasonably better
place to put on though- maybe in the pooka behind the driver seat?  Maybe
make a hole in the rear pontoon?  Well, I guess it depends on the size of
the bottle.

Jim

The NOS prices you saw are pretty high, you can look at some systems at
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-
bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=666

Remember, you don't have EFI.   It's mechanical Fuel Injection, and may
make a difference depending on the setup.

Steve,
I personally think of NOS like a pay as you go mobile phone, convenient,
cheap initial outlay but extremely high running costs.  If like me you are
planning on keeping your DeLorean for a long time then perhaps an engine
swap could be the better long term solution.  DMC Ltd is offering some mouth
watering alternatives....

Regards,

Chris Hawes
Vin 5255