Re: [doc] Re: oil

Our humble PRV is not a highly tuned engine. It's a strong lump and it
would take a serious amount of abuse before it'd actually go wrong. I've
pulled PRVs apart with considerably more use and abuse than any of our
DeLoreans and all the important stuff is still healthy. Only a week ago
Dan and I stripped out the cams from a B280E Volvo engine. The rockers,
sprockets, timing cover - everything was covered in filthy gunky mess
showing it had gone a long time between oil changes at some point. The
cams were absolutely fine thugh. They just needed a clean.

Just change your oil regularly and the engine will go on for years.
Worry about adjusting your tappets now and again, and do your chains and
guides every 200,000 miles. If you hear the characteristic rattling of
the timing chains (I grinned when I heard an A610 start up at Donington
and ehad the exact same noise) then change the guides out for Citroen
ones which are longer (this is just personal preference - it's harmless).

We use 10/40 semi-synthetic and never have a problem maintaining oil
pressure or lube.

The only thing to watch out for is an engine running rich because over
time it will dilute the fuel. You must be more religious about chaning
the oil if you know this has happened.

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk