Re: [doc] Power window trouble

Hi Thomas,

I had a similar problem on #1772, but I initially thought it was just the
window motor (although I heard power there, I couldn't actually hear it
turn)  as i heard they were so unreliable I bought a cheap motor off of ebay
for about £30.

However it wasn't the motor that was the issue but the arm mechanism that
was seized. Once you remove the complete window motor and arm (fairly
straightforward as per the workshop manual)  think you will need a 10mm
socket on a small extension bar to loosen the 2 nuts from the window arm
onto the bottom runner of the window, one nut at the bottom of the arm on
the plastic elbow of the mechanism (** BE VERY CAREFUL HERE) and 3 phillips
screws that support the motor in place.

You may need to pull out the side door marker light to give you a bit extra
room when removing the window mechanism.

Once i got it out i was able to remove the motor and work the arm mechanism
free with alot of lubricant and elbow grease backwards and forwards.

** You have to be careful when removing/putting back the whole mechanism
though.  After 24 years the plastic elbow is very brittle and can easily
break.  I bust mine and then did a repair with fibreglass.

Hope this helps.

Peter Filsell
Vin #1772
DOC 328