Re: [doc] D on fire!

Bad luck, John, but well done.

The cooling fan system comprises three quite serious design flaws.

1) The fans can draw more than 20A each on startup and the relay is only
rated at 40
2) The circuit breaker can cycle if it's getting tired or has dirty
connections. This can make things a lot worse as it's on startup that
things are hit hard
3) The fan-fail module, but we all know about that by now.

There are various fixes on the market - John Hervey's "Fan Fix" (Not
what you've got, John, and I think Hervey would be a bit miffed at the
suggestion that his catches fire!) which is basically a big relay, and
Bob Zilla's Fan Zilla which is a clever solution but not implemented
very well.

I wasn't happy with the fixes on the market so I came up with my own.

1) I bought two relay sockets and two relays with integrated blade fuses.
2) I pulled a signal from the mode switch rather than from the compressor
3) I made myself trailing plugs for both fan sockets (original fan fail
and relay)

The net result is that I now have one fan running off each relay, fused
at 15A, and when the AC is on, they run continuously (and over the past
weekend, this has been for several hours at a time) and the current
bypasses the circuit breaker.

With the aid of a couple of diodes, you can make the "Cooling Fan Fail"
light come on when the fans are on, and personally I find it very
comforting. You can even stick some insulating tape over the word "Fail"
but I haven't gone as far as that :-)

Best Wishes

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk