[doc] Re: Getting my D ready for MOT

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth@xxxx>
wrote:

Thanks for the reply mike

> If you remove the two wires from the otterstat / fan switch on the
> rear left hand side coolant pipe in the engine bay  and jumper
them
> across these with a piece of wire ( or thick paper clip )they
should
> come on straight away with NO delay ... is this what you have
done ?
> what sort of temperature do your fans cut in normally ?? run the
> engine and keep a CLOSE eye on the temp gauge they should kick in
> after twenty mins approx from cold and when the temp gauge gets
just
> past the bottom quarter mark.... after a couple of mins the temp
> goes down and they should cut off .... check yours do before you
> drive around and end up with a problem of the car
> overheating!!! .... If you run the engine and turn the ac on, do
the
> rad fans come on straight away???....they should...

(The otterstat was what i connected together and the fans were
instant.  I did not leave it that long 10 mins max so it may well be
working.  Is it worth replacing it anyway?  I also wondered if
anyone has a howto guide to upgrading the fanfail relay...i saw one
b4 on the net with pics but cannot remember where!)

> The counter reaches 100 for every 30000 miles, so a quick calc
> should tell you what your mileage and couter should be... of
course
> your counter could have been reset at some time,

(This means my mileage is most probs genuine as it is 50000ish and
130 lambda clicks...sorted!!!!)

> > Finally...my car is an auto Aug 82 and just imported...the
engine
> > runs great...and i think i have been lucky for the price i paid
> but
> > can i have advice on what else i should instantly upgrade check
b4
> > start using her as my daily driver!!!!
>
> Thats a big big question :).... definatley check all fluids and
> change if they look old, i would change them any ay including main
> engine oil and filter, coolant fluid, auto transmission fluid and
> filter and final drive oil change and also flush and change the
> brake fluids .... check the condition of all under car hoses etc..
> really you should check all areas of the car for leaks and general
> all round condition, a 25 year old car needs  TLC and time spent on

Yep that is pretty much my plan...it looks like the mechanics of the
car have benn pretty well maintained but i am not taking anything
for granted!

Thanks for your advice

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk