[doc] 16yr Old Owner in Belfast

Saw this little diddy in the Belfast Telegraph, thought you all would be
interested.

Shannon Y
16506

-----------------------------
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=613257

Driving back to the future

By Marie Foy

A Belfast teenager has joined a select group of people.

Thomas McAuley is one of only 50 people in Ireland to have a fabulous De Lorean
sports car.

He bought the dream classic over the internet when he was just 16 years old and
thinks he is the youngest-ever Irish owner.

The unique gullwinged car gained international fame when it appeared in the in
the Holywood blockbuster Back to the Future starring Michael J Fox.

Thomas, who is now 17 and studying for A-levels, paid £4,500 saved up from his
part-time job for the machine.

Sadly, he won't be able to get insurance to drive his new motor until he is 21
but, along with his brother Eamon, plans to spend the next few years restoring it
to its former glory.

Thomas said: "It really started when I went to a few car shows in the old De
Lorean factory in Dunmurry were they were built.

"Then I saw Back to the Future a few years ago and decided I wanted to try and
get one.

"I even got a ride in one from another Belfast owner and that gave me the
inspiration to go for it."

And the Andersonstown Road teenager added: "It is an amazing car. I couldn't
believe it when I finally got it. But when I looked around it I wondered what I
had got myself into.

"It had been left lying in a shed in Texas for the last 10 years with no
maintenance whatsoever. It was in a right state."

Thomas bought the 1981 car by auction in April and it was shipped to Belfast,
arriving in June.

"I got it to fix it up. It has already had quite a bit of work done to it but it
needs thousands more spent on it.

"It is a great car but you have to be crazy to have one. It is very expensive. I
save a bit and then spend it on the car, but it is a labour of love."

Thomas, who hopes to study geography at university, said: "By the time it is
perfect I will be old enough to drive it."

http://mail.yahoo.com

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/HliolB/TM