Re: [doc] Carfax US history checks/HPI

When Dave first bought 'DGS' we tried to get an online Carfax report,
but they dont accept UK addresses or credit cards when ordering, so I
emailed them (I think there is a 'contact us' link) and they sent us
the info on DGS and later Flopsy by email free of charge.

It is a very detailed report, all you need to give them is the full
VIN# and they tell you where the car has been registered, which DOMV
it was with, mileages, if the car has been in an insurance claim,
stolen, written off, scrapped, etc, plus there is a guarantee
included, so if they say there is clear title and someone makes a
claim that there isnt, they pay $5000 compensation.....but not sure
if this only applies to paying US customers or not......

Flopsy's report (10 pages in all) was quite revealing. Although
having been built in July 1981, she wasnt first registered until 10
December 1982 and that was with the DOMV in Shawnee Mission, Kansas.
It showed the car going from there, to Illinois, Texas, Virginia and
then to California, all with detailed mileage records too.

Obviously for cars that have been in the UK for several years,
another option to the DVLA Keeper History Check is to get an Equifax
HPI check, which confirms chassis number, engine number, mileages (if
given by previous owners), date of UK registration, colour (!) and
more importantly warns if the car has been written off (Vehicle
Condition Alert Register - VCAR), stolen, has outstanding finance or
any other nasty surprises. Not sure how much these cost these days,
but I did HPI checks all the time in the motor trade and they are
worth every penny.

Hope this helps,

Claire
#2292 - Flopsy