Re: Air con info

Phil

I went to a firm near Manchester called 'Airconco', they can be foud
at www.airconditioningcompany.co.uk

They use a drop-in replacement called RS-24. This requires no
modifications to the DeLorean and is designed to work well at the
lower pressures (2.2lb/~1.25Kg) specified in the service bulletins.

They do a lot of work with classics and commercial vehicles which run
on R12 and were very complementary about the DeLorean layout for
measuring the compressor oil etc.

Complete unload of my original R12 charge (<300g), pressure test and
reload took ~45mins. Cost was £78 inc VAT and a complementary de-
odouriser spray.

This seems expensive compared to what some others have paid, but they
are the local experts who had experience of classics and were the
most knowledgable about the alternatives. Why spend money changing
the car to accomodate R134a when the drop-in works without trouble?
They did comment that all of the replacements RS24, R134a etc use
slighly smaller molecules than R12 so would tend to 'find' any leaks
in the system more readily.

John Chapelhow
DOC 19 : 'Boeing' 0737