Re: [doc] DVLA Inspection/ number plates

Re: [doc] DVLA Inspection/ number plates

A bit OT I know, but thought you guys might like to know what a
stealth tax the DVLA First Registration Fee of £38 is - (introduced a
couple of years ago, it was £25 before 1st January....)

This is a "fee" levied on behalf of the DVLA to cover the
"adminstration costs" of registering cars - ie every time a car is
registered or changes hands, some poor sod has to enter the details
and print out a new V5 registration document. Ahhh.

Now, bearing in mind virtually every brand new car these days is
actually registered by the dealer who sells the car using a system
called AFRL (Automated First Registration and Licencing) - this system
has been in place for over 6yrs now - and the dealer actually supplies
the registration number and writes out the tax disc, and also that
nearly 2.5 MILLION brand new cars are registered every year in the
UK.....you see where I am coming from?  Take away the 150,000 or so
new cars registered as Disabled Tax Class (so dont pay tax), thats
still another £90 odd MILLION to the Government each year that
motorists have to pay, and that is of course on top of Road Fund
Licence (which apparantly doesnt go to maintaining the roads - and
that is official) and fuel duty.  Should fund a few more speed cameras
I suppose or another fleet of Jags for the illustrious Mr Prescott.....

Rant over!

Roll on Harpenden this Wednesday (cos my Road Fund Licence runs out on
Sunday, whoopee...)

Claire
DOC 171, #2292
Car Sales Executive, Renault