[doc] 200 miles - water, water everywhere

[doc] 200 miles - water, water everywhere

All,

Just turned 200 miles in 1274 driving around locally.

After 20 minutes of driving about, I was sat at traffic lights when I
noticed steam.....I looked down at the temp gauge, up full!

I rounded the corner, then bang, big cloud of steam. I turned the engine
off straight away and coasted round the corner. No (or very little)
coolant left. The culprit - the hose on the RHS had been nicked by the
alternator belt, and then split right up close to the water pump.

It's easy to spend so much time making sure the hose that runs around
the front of the AC compressor is out of harms way, that the hose on the
right gets neglected and it's equally close to a belt.

When things start to get hot the hoses get very soft and can sag into a
belt - just as mine did. I've put a tie wrap around the offending hose
and pulled it up using a conveniently placed engine hoist hoop.

Worth checking your own out!

On the plus side the huge explosion of steam was regarded as a cool
special effect by the people about, so I was spared some embarrassment.
Now I'm just hoping no lasting engine damage has been done.

Rich Hutchinson
DOC 365 VIN 1274

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk