[DML] Re: Possible cooling problem?

A hot running Delorean can be caused by several things. The otterstadt
switch only controls the temp at which the fans start and stop if the
A/C is not running. Get an infra-red temp sensor or just a plain old
thermometer and actually measure the temp of the coolant. Make sure
the anti-freeze (aka coolant) is not old, is a nice color, and is not
acidic. The thermostat can be sticking. You can test it in a pot of
water on a stove or just replace it. Bleed the radiator of all air.
Make sure it is not clogged with debris on the outside. Make sure both
fans run, run in the right direction, and the fans are not loose on
the shafts. Make sure the front grill is not blocked with anything
like a plastic bag or a license plate. If the hoses and belts are old
they should be replaced. I also suggest you get a new, metal radiator
and a metal header bottle. Get the uprated circuit breakers for the
fans and at least have the fan fail bypass jumpers NOT THE BLUE FAN
FAIL RELAY! Pressure test to 15 psi for 15 min. If you do all this you
should have a bulletproof cooling system. If you have to add coolant
once the system is bled you have leaks which MUST be repaired. Coolant
is not "consumed". It is recirculated and if the level gets too low
some of it is getting out. Eventually enough will get out to let air
in. Once that happens and the system gets airbound you will overheat
the motor. This is why leaks of any magnitude cannot be allowed.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757