Toby Tabs

Hello List,
I have been following this thread for a few days now. And I have
an opinion on the issue. I just want to give some background info
first, Sorry if I sound conceded I'm not bragging or nothin'.
I have been a prototype metal Fabricator for 10 years building the
Flyer Light Strike Vehicles for the Military.
http://www.marvineng.com/flyer/index.htm
And before this off-road desert race cars.
I talked to my Forman who has 20 years in the same field and is an
expert on suspensions. Also spoke with one of our engineers
(Formerly retired from RocketDyne) And also I spoke with a gentlemen
who has been working with us for a couple of weeks, an Engineer from
General Motors.
And yes, all this on company time talking about DeLoreans.

I told and showed them pictures on the Toby Tab, the Bauerle
Bracket, the frame layout, and how they are installed and what the
claims were.

The Bauerle Bracket:
As a fabricators opinion this is a poorly designed part. Lap
welding mild steel angle iron to a bent plate is something we would
never do. Especially to be used as a suspension support bracket.
Both Engineers agree that there is no rigidity in this part. And the
attachment point on the frame needs to be drastically improved.
But all this doesn't matter anyway.

The Toby Tab:
This bolt is a higher tensile strength replacement of the original
OEM Bolt. They believe for example: instead of 10,000 cycles you
might get 100,000 cycles.
Meaning the Toby tab will bend over time like the originals but will
last longer.

They believe Lotus didn't pay attention to detail when designing
the rear suspension. But also said, not to touch or lockout the
movement in that area.
That area was designed for that movement for camber curve as the
suspension travels up and down. Stiffening up that bolt movement or
adding a bracket in dual shear will do more damage than good. The
suspension could bind through its travel and reduce cornering
performance. Or you could cause the trailing arm bracket welded on
the frame to crack.

The solution:
The most simple and inexpensive way to go is, remove the Bauerle
Bracket if installed and buy the Toby Tabs. The expensive hard fix
would be to convert the old trailing arm ends to a Spherical
threaded Rod End with Toby Tabs. This would extent the life of the
bolts dramatically. My Forman would also convert the outboard side
of the upper and lower links to Spherical threaded Rod Ends keeping
the inboard sides stock rubber or aftermarket polyurethane bushings
if you were going that far. But, For me the expensive hard fix is
something I'll do later when I have the time.

Closing:
All the views expressed by the people I had talked too are their
opinions for improvement. I would not recommend anyone to change
their suspension in any way. Use your own judgment. If anyone has
any questions they would like to ask one of the Engineers, I would
gladly ask them for you.
Also, I don't know Toby we've never met. But, Toby put me down for
your bolts.

Regards
Mike