Re: [DML] Auto Trans service

Carefully examine the debris in the pan. There should be "sludge",
shiny brass and a very little magnetic dirt. Depending on the mileage
this is very hard to assess as to how much should be there but
certainly if there is a lot of friction materiel and brass then there
is not much life left, it is like a clutch, as the friction materiel
comes off the discs there is less left. If there is a lot of magnetic
metal on the magnet then there is serious damage to the internals and
the trans won't last much longer. This is a very judgmental thing and
you need a lot of exoerience to make a guess. You can't drain very
much of the fluid out without removing and disassembling the trans. If
the fluid smells burnt, drain and refill several times. Put the fluid
between your fingers and if it feels gritty and is very dark or black
that is not good. The grit eats up the seals and the pump. The filter
can be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled.
To refill the trans you do pour the new fluid into the dipstick tube.
Do not overfill.
I place the jackstands under the loops in the front and under the
lower rear shock absorber mounts in the rear. In the rear you have to
be careful not to hit the tires and that the jackstands don't move as
you lower the car onto then (the tendency is to spread them out so be
careful and only do this on paved, level ground).