Re: [DML] 5th gear grind

There are a few things that may cause this and they are as follows;

1. The plastic fluid line is softening as it gets hot and expands.
This will cause shifting problems and/or grinding. Replace this with
the Stainless Steel braided clutch line that the Delorean vendors
carry. If you don't want to change the clutch line another
alternative is to buy PJ Grady's Hardcore Master clutch cylinder. He
has these rebuilt and has them bored out to a larger diameter with a
larger piston to allow for more displacement of fluid to compensate
for the expansion of the plastic clutch line when it gets warm. Give
him a call and he'll explain it to you in detail.

2. The fluid needs changing ESPECIALLY if it's 20 years old and/or
the car has high mileage. If you change the fluid I would recommend
using Synthetic Gear oil. I have heard from a few people who have
used it saying that it allowed for smoother shifting. Also the
Synthetic won't "sludge" up in cold weather where you would have to
wait for the car to warm up as long before putting it into drive.

I currently have the Stainless Steel line, PJ Grady's Hardcore Master
clutch cylinder and have Synthetic gear oil in my tranny.

Steve