[DML] Re: Legend Turbo question

As Mark says, you cannot just bolt on a turbo, dial the pressure all
the way up, and expect the engine to live any length of time. You have
to lower the compression, beef up the connecting rods and pistons,
groove the heads for "O" rings, change the timing and the advance, the
camshaft, and many other things if you want the power and the
longevity. Fred Dellis said plainly, they could get all the power they
wanted out of the PRV, the problem was the drivetrain. The plan was to
ditch the Renault transmission for something more robust in later
years. Remember, they had to come out with something quick, it would
have been too much all at once to do a turbo AND a transmission, AND a
final drive. I can only imagine what the Delorean would have been if
it stayed in production a couple of more years! BTW the Island set-up
does not have intercoolers, the Legend set-up did. The intercoolers
get you more power, lower combustion pressures and temperatures, less
detonation, more spark advance, etc. IMHO the most "bang for the buck"
is going to a true pulsed EFI system with full engine management. This
would give better fuel economy, more power, improved reliabilty and
not overload the trans. You could do it without extensive internal
modifacations to the motor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757