[DMCForum] Cars For California Filming - Update

[DMCForum] Cars For California Filming - Update

Thanks to those of you who've contacted me already, and for the rest
of you who are waiting for more info on the film shooting day, here
it is.

Special thanks to Dan Botkin at DMC in Garden Grove, who has not only
offered to add a couple of their own cars to the caravan, and is
spreading the word to customers who come into the shop, but has also
graciously offered to let us use their shop as a gathering place and
starting point for the caravan on the morning of Wednesday the 13th.
Most of you will already know exactly where DMC is located, but for
those who may not, it is at 13881 West Street in Garden Grove, and
the phone number there is 714-554-6794 if you should get lost on the
way and need directions.

They open at 8am and I will be there from 8am - 10am to offer all of
you who come out to meet us there for the caravan a breakfast spread
of bagels & muffins, a bit of friendly chat, and the game plan for
the rest of the day.  I'll even bring a portable DVD player and
copies of our four previous video workshop short films so those who
may wish to can get an idea of what we generally do in them.  We will
then take the caravan out on the road, promptly at 10am, and thereby
avoiding trying to keep us all together in the earlier rush hour
chaos.  If you ABSOLUTELY can not make it out to DMC before 10am for
the start of the caravan, you COULD meet up with us at our first
shooting location, along the roadway in front of the Queen Mary in
Long Beach, where we expect to be at by 10:30 or so.  Free parking
there is pretty much nonexistant, so if you do choose to catch up to
us there, I'd suggest (only if you can do so SAFELY!) pulling off on
the roadside shoulder along Queen's Highway at about 10:15 and
waiting for us as we come off of the 710 Freeway.  Traffic there goes
past the ship in a one-way loop, and we'll just keep going round
again until we get the shot in the cameras, then it's off to the next
location, and so on throughout the day.  We have a total of five
filming locations, three of which are actually quite close to each
other, and we expect to be done well before afternoon rush hour
starts up.

In addition to this "rolling filming day", with the largest caravan
that we can manage, I will need just a few cars (four to six will do
it) that can come to a second filming session on President's Day
Monday the 18th, at a hotel near LAX airport, between 8am and 11am
for some close up hands on filming with my professional actors from
Doctor Who.  At least one of those cars must be an automatic
transmission, which one of the actors will have to be able to drive
just a few hundred feet in the hotel parking lot.  Another car will
have the other two actors get in and sit inside, but will not need to
be driven by them.

We're only 9 days away from the caravan shooting day right now, so
please do make your plans for Wednesday the 13th to come out and join
us, and please LET US KNOW IN ADVANCE that you are coming!  You can
contact me (Dan Harris, the producer of the short film) at
FloridaDelorean@xxxxxxx (FloridaDelorean AT aol DOT com) or at my
home phone of 954-486-3104, or you can contact Dan Botkin at DMC.
I'm actually getting a new cell phone number this week, and will pass
on that number as soon as I have it.  It's going to be a fun and
unique experience, and YOUR PARTICIPATION is what's going to make it
all work, so please come out and join us.

See You All Soon - Dan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan Harris" <whocruiser@...> wrote:

> Southern California Delorean owners, I need your help on a short
not-
> for-profit semi-professional video project that I will be working
on
> in your area in mid-February.  I can't pay anyone, but you will get
> to see your car on screen, and to participate in a unique day of
> location filming, and be able to obtain a free copy of the video
for
> yourself when it is done.  I will be asking Ken Koncelik to let me
> screen the finished video at the upcoming Delorean Car Show this
June
> in Gettysburg, and it will also be screened at several sci-fi
fantasy
> conventions around the world.  It will be a sci-fi/fantasy/time
> travel story, set in the world of the long-running BBC-TV
> series "Doctor Who", with three of the original professional actors
> from the original TV series reprising the roles they played in the
> series.  I make one of these films every year as part of a creative
> workshop connected to a celebrity/fan vacation cruise that I run
for
> fans of Doctor Who, and this year I'm am adding a Delorean-themed
> twist to the workshop film.  Part of the plot involves the time-
> traveling Doctor and his traveling companion visiting 1982 Los
> Angeles when they accidentally change history by tipping off John
> Delorean to the truth behind the impending covert drug sting that
the
> government was planning to entrap him with.  They then travel 20
> years into the future to find a slightly different 2002 where John
&
> the car company are a huge success, and with people driving our
cars
> everywhere.  That's where YOU come into it...  We need to stage
> several short "scene establishing" transition shots, which will
show
> recognizable Hollywood/LA area landmark sites & buildings, with
LARGE
> numbers of Deloreans mixed into the everyday car traffic passing
by,
> making it appear that they are EVERYWHERE.  We should be able to
pull
> off the shots with anywhere between 30 and 50 cars, which we know
is
> technically achievable, as our friends at DMC California managed to
> coordinate about 70 cars to show up for the ride closing ceremony
at
> Universal Studios last August.  The more cars we can draw, the
> better.  We will be planning to do the location filming on
Wednesday
> 13 February, with a backup date of Thursday 14 February in case of
> heavy rain, or if additional time is required to complete the
> shooting.  These are the only days we will be able to do these
> scenes.  It will be coordinated throughout the day for the group of
> cars to move across the area from one location to the next as we
> finish each shot, and it will be a huge help if you have a cell
phone
> and/or a FRS two-way radio with you to keep up on timing and cues
> (and if you happen to have a GPS unit, that would be nice too.)  If
> you do NOT have a Delorean but would still like to help, we will
also
> need a few additional volunteers to help out in pre-positioning the
> cars on the day, and also with advance scouting of the areas around
> the locations in the weeks between now and then so we can operate
> more smoothly and quickly on the shooting day.  If you'd like to
help
> out, please e-mail me privately off of this forum at
> FloridaDelorean@... (FloridaDelorean AT aol DOT com) and we'll
> take it from there.  Thanks in advance for the help that I know I
can
> count on from many of you.
>
> Cheers - Dan Harris
>
> *****WhoCruiser@... is Dan Harris*****