Re: [DMCForum] ATTN: Bob Brandys (Re: AMC)

Re: [DMCForum] ATTN: Bob Brandys (Re: AMC)

> What vintage are you speaking of? In the 1960's and 1970's, AMC did
> indeed have a deservedly bad rep for rust. So starting with the 1980
> model year they revamped their entire assembly process to combat that
> image.

Go read my post AGAIN, I said 70's and 80's era cars, and yes that
included all the UGLY ASS Eagle cars they made too. Fact all I see on
the road left over from AMC is the Eagle Talons, they must have been
made right, Carboratorless.

> Went exclusively to galvanized sheetmetal (giant ventilator
> hoods evacuated the welding fumes), added a primer bath to the
> assembly line, made Zeibarting standard (every other company offered
> it as an option) and so on. Cost a fortune, and AMC never recovered
> the investment. Works excellently though. I once accidentally
> purchased a Spirit that originated in Michigan, of all places. Gas
> tank and the entire brake system were of course gone, but the body was
> nearly perfect. That, my friend, is serious shit, not bullshit.
>
> Don't you remember the TV commercial where AMC drove a Concord off a
> dock into the ocean, left it there to stew, then pulled it out later
> with no rust effects whatsoever?

I am sure all car will do this to an extent, it all depends how long
the car sat. If you want to buy my Delorean I will try it in an Ocean
for a while.

> I defy you to find an AMC Eagle with anything remotely similar to the
> rust effects that even stablemate Jeeps suffered (the Jeep assembly
> process wasn't modified as the passenger cars were).

Next time I am in a Salvage Yard up here in Wisconsin I will take a
couple of rolls of film for you, I am sure you will think I
photoshopped the rust on them so I wont even develop the film if you
wish.

> BTW: Holes where Zeibart was sprayed were not drilled -- they are part
> of the normal stamping process. Every car has them -- even DeLoreans
> (inside the door).

I seen drilled holes with plastic caps stuck in them and I asked when
I was a kid and I was told that is where they injected the rust
proofing. It really doesn't matter, like I said I see everything else
on the road except for AMC cars. if I want to see an AMC I have to
look hard at a car show or visit a Salvage yard!