[DMCForum] NEW FUEL VENT QUESTION

Okay, it seems we have a concensus that the wire
inside the tank that is attached to the fuel vent plug
is used for static electricty discharge.  But----how
does it work??

I've got my tank out, the whole system, and here's
what I find puzzling.  The gas filler (#101394, the
metal part you put the gas station nozzle into when
you pump gas) has a grounding wire on it and it is
grounded to the frame.  The rubber vent hose from the
tank is attached to this by a hose clamp.  This hose
is 18 inches long and attaches to the vent tube at the
top of the plastic fuel tank via another hose clamp.

Neither car I have has any kind of wiring connection
in the vent system, nor is there any way to connect a
grounding wire to the vent wire that sits in the tank.
 Since both plastic and rubber do not conduct
electricity, then, for this to be a route for static
discharge would seem to be in direct conflict with our
concensus.

So, if this is not a possible route for static
discharge, then what is the purpose of the wire inside
the fuel tank?  Do we need it?

Mike   TPS    1630