Re: [DMCForum] DeLorean dealership sign for sale

On Dec 27, 2007 1:04 PM, delorean <delorean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What kind of car did you get to replace your Delorean?

Oh, hell, now I get to look like a fool in front of everyone.

I looked at a lot of cool toys. Gave the most serious consideration to
an NSX. Also looked into the idea of a gently used Viper, Vette or
Esprit, and considered switching to a truck - H1 or H2 (yes, I know
the H2 isn't a real hummer and is shitty off road. Whatever, I still
like them.) Thought about a big diesel pickup, too, and vaguely
entertained an MR-2 Spyder, RX-8 or 350Z. Looked semi-seriously into a
Solstice. Say what you will, that's a sweet car.

In the end I cheaped out, big time. Bought a Honda Insight. It's not
cool. In fact it's decidedly dorky. However, it's the perfect little
commuter.

1. I'm getting 70 miles to the gallon. Instead of $250 a month for
DeLorean gas (or $400+ a month for the average truck), I'm paying $30.
That's right. I put about 9 gallons of fuel in once per month. By the
time I have to buy gas I've forgotten what it's like to buy gas. I
love it.

2. This car is easily as fast as my DeLorean below 40 miles per hour.
Acceleration at lower speeds is outstanding due to the push from that
little electric motor. Above 40 it drops off rapidly, though. Above 50
it's completely gutless in terms of speed of acceleration. Though it
will haul ass if asked to. I spent several hours doing in excess of
90mph up I-5 bringing it home from San Diego.

3. Turning radius is amazing and the car is tiny. I can slip in and
out of parkings lots and through thick traffic with ease. With the
torque of the electric motor at city driving speeds I can pull ahead
of other cars rapidly and change lanes before the guy next to me knows
what happened. Keeps the jerks on the road from playing the "I'll
match your speed so you can't get past me, but slow down to a crawl
when you're behind me, because I'm a big dick" game.

4. Virtually nobody bothers me. From time to time someone wants to
know the miles per gallon, but mostly I'm left alone. I've come to
appreciate that after 3 years of driving the DeLorean every day.

5. It's a modern car. I don't have to fix it. Everything just works. I
like that.

6. It was dirt cheap. A fraction of the cost of some of the vehicles I
was looking at.

So, yeah. On one hand I have a silly little econobox. On the other I
have simple, reliable, ultra cheap transportation that is a joy to
drive in traffic and I saved myself a huge bundle of cash, not to
mention a couple hundred bucks a month in fuel.

I still intend to buy a slick sports car as a toy some day, but for
now I'm enjoying the freedom of not spending time and money on cars.

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: