[DMCForum] Re: renewable oil...

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@...> wrote:
> That's why you have to read as much as possible from all sides.  You
can't
> just listen to and believe one side without looking at the other.  Even
> then, you have to do some individual research and fact finding.

Exactly.  This is a process I highly recommend and try to strictly
adhere to myself.  I'm not a freshman Philosophy of Science student,
you know. :)

> We don't need a crisis to develop new technology; we do it all the time.
> Electric cars existed a hundred years ago.  Competition and the
challenge is
> what makes this happen on its own.

You're right, it doesn't take a crisis to get innovation, but it is a
nice catalyst.

> When we toured Fermi Labs at the Chicago DCS (look!  A De Lorean
reference!)
> one of the people in our group asked the tour guide what this kind of
> research would end up producing.  We don't know.  That's the very
point of
> doing the research and those things need to be funded.   Try to
convince the
> general public we need to dump millions of dollars into a
super-conducting
> super-collider and they won't want to do it.

Yup.  I regard all news about any new superconductor collider projects
with a degree of skepticism, after being so excited about them in the
past and then being let down when they're scrapped for lack of
funding.  That is a truly great frontier of science, and we're so
green when it comes to a lot of the things we could learn from it.

Regards,
Jon Heese

Behalf
> Of jonheese
> Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 3:57 PM
> To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DMCForum] Re: renewable oil...
>

> That is an awesome article, and I was actually shocked by the claims.
>
> I suppose that time (and further research and proof) will tell whether
> or not these claims are true, but it is definitely a promising theory.
>
> If that is true, and the crust and mantle of the earth are
> synthesizing "fossil fuels" faster than we consume them, then that
> changes a lot. Obviously, we won't be forced to change energy
> technologies because we run out of oil. Hopefully, the quest for
> cleaner ways to extract energy from fossil fuels will continue.
>
> I just can't help but wonder if this news means that we might never be
> motivated enough to develop inherently cleaner sources of energy...
>
> Regards,
> Jon Heese
>
> --- In DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
> "timnagin" <timnagin@> wrote:
> >
> > I did a little searching but still can not find the exact article
I had
> > read. Here is one though, and a Google link for more.
> >

> > http://www.wnd. <http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645>
> com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645
> >

> > http://www.google. <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en>
com/search?hl=en