Re: [DMCForum] Test email

Jack Stiefel wrote:
> Apple has licensed exchange.  Its already an option when setting up
> email, just not push yet.  That's whats due out very soon from what
> I've been told.

Interesting.  That's news to me, but good for them.

> I've used mine laying down in bed. What happens is it stays in
> portrait until you tilt it round and make it straight, then it
> changes and as long as toy don't turn I'd back straight and lean it
> back straight it won't change... God I sound stupid, but you get the
> gist.  Also spinning it on a table does nothing as the unit is laying
> down not perpendicular to the ground...  Does any of this make sense?

Kind of, but either you missed the point of what I was saying and I'm
not getting your response..

It must use a sensor that "feels" gravity in the x- and y-axes of the
phone.  When you turn it like a PSP, it "feels" gravity pulling along
the short axis, and turns the orientation.  Likewise, when you turn it
up like a phone, it "feels" gravity pulling along the long axis and
turns the orientation appropriately.  My question is:  What if gravity
is pulling along the z-axis, i.e. you're laying the phone flat on like a
table, or over your head pointed down at you?

It sounds like you're saying it just keeps the last known orientation.
If so, that's exactly why I think it's a flawed feature.  Good to
impress co-workers, but of limited use if you tend to hold your cell
phone flat when looking at it (as I do).

My idea of spinning it flat on a table was to get the accelerometers
that are designed to "feel" gravity to go wacky and freak out the
programming that determines which way gravity is pulling.  I suppose
that spinning it like that would fire the sensors for both the x- and
y-axes, and I suppose they would tell it to do nothing when that happens.

Regards,
Jon Heese