[DMCForum] Confiscating Cars?

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@...> wrote:
<SNIP>

> If someone started mass producing these parts and selling them
publicly for
> profit they may step in and put a halt to this.  If that happens
chances are
> we will never see another one of these converted cars unless someone
pays
> for the rights or is able to make an agreement with Universal.  That
could
> also mean the currently converted cars could be confiscated.  Barris did
> that to at least one fan-created Batmobile.
<SNIP>

Wait a second, hit the brakes right there. How in the hell are you
going to confiscate someone elses property, because it looks like
your's? You don't own it, nor are you disputing legal ownership of it,
so how the hell are you able to confiscate it for legal ownership,
with no proof of ownership, nor a bill of sale, or otherwise? You can
stop someone from selling a product that infringes on trademark,
copywrite of design, or is counterfeit. But how in the hell can you
confiscate a replica that someone has built?!?

I know that the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" was landmark, because
of the replica Ferarri that was crashed. It infringed upon the Ferarri
trademarks, and the company has gone out of business as a result of
the law suit. But that was Ferarri who owned the trademarks, and sued
someone for manufacturing a counterfeit car. George Barris doesn't own
shit when it comes to the 60's era Batmobile, the Dukes of Hazzard
Charger, nor the BTTF DeLorean design. He's licenced them, and sells
licenced products, but he's not entitled to ownership of ever orange
painted '69 Dodge Challenger out there because of that.

In fact, George Barris once got his own ass into trouble for selling a
replica Batmobile. It was based off of a Old's Torrinado, and was in
some museum down in Florida. The museum advertised the car as the
original from the show, and then sold it off. The new owner found the
VIN plate, and discovered that it was NOT the original as promised. He
sued the museum, who has purcahsed the car from Barris himself. Barris
stated that he never made such a claim, and was then sued by both the
museum, as well as the owner of the new car. I don't know what the
monetary settlement was, but I do know that part of the settlement was
the owner got to keep the replica.

George Barris is a no-talent hack. The famous cars that *his* shop
built, were actually done by his brother. So if you notice, after his
brother died, the "Kustom Kars" stopped appearing, and he just got
lazy and tried to licence them all.

Here is a really great site that tells about the "Black Beauty" from
the old Green Hornet show. It goes to prove allot of dishonesty in the
business, and clears up who actually built the most famous cars that
Barris lies about when he boasts about them.

http://www.katoman.com/green%20hornet%20folder/black_beauty1.htm

-Robert

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM