[DMCForum] Rearview mirror mounting

This is brought over from the discussion on the DML.

Can someone tell me the proper "layers" of the rearview mirror
mounting system? Here's what I had when I bought my car:

1. Mirror with a plastic base.
2. Black "patch" that looks as if it's built into the windshield.

Is this correct?

Reading this message on the DML - "The reason the windshield cracks is
because of the expansion and contraction of the BLACK aluminum base
when it is glued directly to the glass" - makes me think the makeup is
actually:

1. Mirror with a plastic base.
2. Black aluminum thing that's supposed to stay attached to (be a part
of) the mirror's base.
3. Plain glass windshield.

In which case I can safely conclude that my black "patch" that seems
to be part of the windshield is really the aluminum base of the
mirror, simply detached from the mirror itself; meaning my supergluing
of the mirror to that black piece is OK and I don't have to worry
about cracking the windshield...

Can someone clear this up for me?

-Ryan