Re: [DMCForum] Re: [OT] Battlestar Galactica...

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Joe OBrien wrote:

> Guess there is at least one good ISP server left then.

I've been running a news server at one ISP or another for about ten years
now, and I'm not about to start sucking.  :)

> But who do you source your feeds from, how many groups do you have
> available, and what is the retention on binaries?

I have 21 different peers, 131712 groups (at least a dozen of which are
probably not crap), and 15 days of binaries.

> Just curious, as if the server is good, maybe I'll give it a try as a
> backup server.

It is an ISP news server.  We don't sell access to people who aren't our
ISP customers (http://www.hal-pc.org/halnet.html if you're interested to
see who we are).

Honestly, the remarks that the big commerial news services are better for
people who wish to leech large amounts of binaries are correct.  I cannot
match their speed or binary retention.  But I'd still like to think I'm
doing a pretty good job for a small, non-profit ISP in a market where
people working for ISPs seem to give less and less of a crap every day.

-andrew