Re: [DMCForum] [OT] Battlestar Galactica...

On 3/15/06, Andrew <yahoo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you have any evidence that law enforcement has ever monitored
> Bittorrent, and in particular for simple copyright violations?  Sounds
> like FUD to me.

Not law enforcement, but copyright holders do. I was warned by my ISP
after they received a complaint from the copyright holder - for
downloading episodes of Stargate Atlantis, of all things. They
broadcast it over public airspace and I'm free to capture it that way,
but if I capture it via the Internet I'm a bad person? What's the
freaking difference?

Anyway, I was told if they receive another complaint, my Internet
access will be disabled permanently. This is from Charter Cable, FWIW.
I recommend not using bittorrent to download materials such as this if
you don't want someone giving you a hard time sooner or later. It's
way too open, anyone can logon to a tracker and get the IP addresses
of everyone connected.

The Stargate Atlantis people could have just as easily filed a lawsuit
against me had they wanted to.

-Ryan