Re: [DMCForum] Re: Sirius radio..

On 1/12/06, Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I buy a new GM vehicle.  It comes with XM built in with a 3 month free
> service.  That counts as a new subscriber for XM... Now here is the funny
> (funny shady, not funny ha ha), the H2 came with a 3 month free service, but
> after 2 months we received a letter from XM asking us to enjoy the XM
> service for the next 2 years?????  So I bought this truck and got XM free
> for 2 years.  That's how XM is boosting their subscriptions!!!

In other words, Sirius is actually making money; XM is just pumping
their stock price.

One thing I never understood: Why people buy this crap. I don't mean
the radio service, I mean the shareholders. Publicly traded companies
have to "grow, grow, grow!" So they do, even if they're not actually
making more money, and at least in the short term people just lap it
up. "Ohhh, look at all of the subscribers, *drool*... "  Yeah, but the
company is losing money.

The whole thing reminds me of the DVD deals to be had during the dot
com bubble. I had accounts with half a dozen web sites dealing
primarily in the sale of DVDs. The deals were so good - 50% off all
preorders, quantity discounts, etc - I quickly built up a huge
collection of movies and I don't think I paid more than an average of
$8 a movie including shipping & handling charges! Of course, these
fools weren't making any money - just trying to build up their
customer base while burning cash. Most of them went out of business
after a couple years of this.

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS