Re: [DMCForum] Steering rack boots: Lube for replacement?

Re: [DMCForum] Steering rack boots: Lube for replacement?

Errrrm...... probably. But just check for play. Does the movement of the
shaft translate precisely to movement of the track rod. Gan you tug and
push on the track rods without any "clicking" feeling. It's quite normal
for the assembly to feel slightly "gritty" but play is the enemy. Over
here we do racks on exchange, and they're not too expensive so it comes
under the "will worry about it when it goes wrong" heading!

A small amount of play in the rack and track rod ends make a big
difference to the way the car handles

Martin

Ryan Wright wrote:

>Hey, one more for you -
>
>Since my boots have been torn for awhile, is there anything I should
>do to R&R the steering rack joints? Any cleanup or lubrication that
>may help them?
>
>Or, what should I look for to make sure they're still OK?
>
>-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS