Re: [DMCForum] Ebay DMC

On 10/24/05, timnagin <timnagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> They wanted to send me a link where I can send them all of the information
> about this auction.  What the hell are we paying eBay for and why should I
> do the leg work for their employees?  I actually asked the "person" I was
> talking with if they were a 'bot.  I was assured they were not, of course.

I've found that eBay is extremely paranoid about putting a stop to
anything that happens on their web site. I have seen countless cases
where blatent, obvious scams were going on and eBay did nothing about
it until it was too late.

They hide behind the veil of being the middle man. One of their reps
once told me, "We're just like the newspaper. If you buy something out
of an ad in the newspaper and the deal goes bad, you don't call the
newspaper and get mad at them." This was in regards to their not
enforcing their own rules against a seller who, after the auction
ended, decided to tack on nearly $40 in handling fees on a $12
purchase because the item didn't sell as high as he wanted. eBay
warned me that if I didn't pay him, they would take action against my
account as a non-paying bidder. I pointed out where he was violating
several of their own rules and that's when I got the whole, "We're
just like the newspaper" bit.

The problem with this is they have the ability to, and often do,
interfere in matters, which makes them nothing like the newspaper. I
pointed out how ironic it was that they were claiming to be a neutral
third party while simultaneously threatening my account. They didn't
respond.

Essentially, the rule on eBay is 100% "buyer beware." They will
knowingly let you get screwed and they won't do a damn thing to help
you. You are not their customer, their sellers are. The sellers pay
their bills; You're just an annoyance. If you can live by those rules
and be extremely picky which of their customers (sellers) you deal
with, eBay is a fun place.

This company is ripe for the picking due to the countless flaws in
buyer (and seller) protection. Given some time and a huge marketing
budget I could replace them.

--
- Ryan