[DMCForum] Re: Steering bush replacement and re-assembly

[DMCForum] Re: Steering bush replacement and re-assembly

Thanks Greg,

I actually just finished re-assembling the whole lot! I've been
searching in the archives untill 01.00 in the morning last night and
found some good pointers. It does slide back into the outer tube if
you disasemble it but we could grab the splined end without damaging
it and pulled it out. Sliding it gently through the new bush and
making sure the wheels are straight according to the steering wheel
we managed to put everything back in place. Steering wheel is stable
en feels much better than before. It took some time but studying the
design and taking our time made it all good. Again I've learned a
lot!

Partly of course thanks to this forum!

Frederik,
VIN 02330, Belgium

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:

> Someone who has replaced the steering column bushing would know
better, but
> I have heard the inner shaft can slide.
>
> I remember someone mentioned to use vise grips to hold the shaft,
without
> damaging the splines of course, if you remove the steering wheel.
>
> See if you can just pull it further out.
>
> Greg

On Behalf
> Of Frederik Van Acker
> Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 1:56 PM
> To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DMCForum] Steering bush replacement and re-assembly
>
> Hi,
>
> As many I needed to replace the steering bush as it has completely
> worn out. I replaced it with the  new durable upgrade but now
> encountered a problem: It was a bit difficult to get the steering
> column disconnected from it's coupling (24 years of rust!) but
> finally it loosened up. I placed the bushing but while trying to
> reconnect the steering column to the coupling it seems like my
> steering column has shortened (??). I mean the column does not go
> far enough down through the hole to connect the coupling to it. I
> know the column can slide of course (I've loosened the 17mm bolts
> behind the steering wheel) but even in it's maximum lower position
> the steering column stem hardly reaches the hole.
>
> Is there a procedure anywere or can you guys help me out? Did I
miss
> something? Can't move the car now as I have no steering! ;-)
>

> I've traced some previous posts but most of them were about
> disconnecting the lot, not re-assembling it...
>
> Thanks in advance from far away in Belgium.
>
> Frederik
> VIN #02330

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte