[DMCForum] Re: repainting rear sunshade

Time, patience, and good prep work are your friend.

Mask of ANYTHING you don't want painted.

on 16851 I sanded down my louvers to make sure they were smooth and
uniform overall. I went from 250 to 400 to 100 grit.

Washed the louvers with soap & water, then dried.

Masked everything off, especially everything UNDER the louvers, then
wiped down with alcohol to make sure all residue was clean from the
surface.

Mind you the louvers were still black, just a bit faded from the
sanding. I love the semi gloss look of new Delorean parts, and the
gool ol' Krylon Semi-Flat black does the job wonderful for re-
creating that look.

Make sure to paint from one full side to the other on each louver,
and not to spray too thick or you will need to let it dry, resand,
wash, prep, and paint again.

Nice even spray left to right, and make sure it goes on smooth so
when it dries you have no dry patches or thin areas. The full left to
right is crucial to make sure there is no pattern in your louvers.

I had about 3 different coats of paint, I let it dry and wetsanded
between coats for the ultimate smooth finish.

I used almost 12 cans of krylon to achieve a nice deep rich black
with no patterns or orange peel.

I reglued my engine vents prior to painting as well, since they were
a bit loose.

They look just as nice as the vents on 2524 which are stock origonals
in perfect shape.

Take you time, and do it when you can let the car sit for 4-5 days.

I also used a heater in my garage to keep the temperature above 70
while I was painting, and while the paint dried for the first 2
hours, although Krylon will be set up great in under an hour.

Hope that helps some,

Joe O'Brien

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Erik Geerdink <dmcerik@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to repaint my rear sunshade and was wondering if anyone
had a good procedure for this?  Mine is a bit faded and has some
white marks on it from hitting my T-panel.  Any instructions would be
great.