[DMCForum] Commercial nuclear power plants

[DMCForum] Commercial nuclear power plants

Then go there BOB. According to you, we're behind and wrong on just
about everything. I can almost hear a "nyah nyah" after everything you
say, just like a six year-old child. "My other daddy has a nicer car
than yours, nyah nyah."

> The French has solved all the problems of management of nuclear
power
> generation with one breader reactor supplying fuel for the whole
> country and converting waste in to fissionable fuel.

We are "behind" because the world insists that nuclear power and
nuclear weapons are "evil" and "wrong" so we don't develop them as we
should. Our own government regulations and grass roots "not in my
backyard" movements have virtually ensured that no utility company can
build or run a commercial nuclear power plant, yet Iran is well on
their way to selling nuclear technology to every Ahmed, Habib and
Mohammed who gets their wallet out.

My 11 years on nuclear submarines has shown me that under the proper
guidance and safety programs,nuclear power is perfectly safe,
especially with modern electronics integrated into the control and
safety systems.

I do not, however believe that fission reactors are the way to go. We
do not have a way to eliminate the hazardous waste on the necessary
scale. I also agree with Marc (gasp) that it will not eliminate our
oil problem.

You may or may not know that the U.S. Japan, and France (and other
European nations) are involved in building the first -fusion- reactor.
The current arguement is who gets the honor of having the building
site in their country. A fusion reaction creates helium as a by
product and little to no radioactive waste. Instead of harnessing the
energy from splitting atoms, it will harness the energy from fusing
them into helium atoms. I don't remember what elements will be
combined to do this. If I can find the article, I'll post it.

I'm an avid driver. I love to drive, I love to travel and I love the
road. I love gasoline engines. I love the sound they make. They are
part of modern history and American heritage and our culture. As much
as I love them though, their time is passing and rightfully so. We
need to find a completely different means of propulsion for our day-to-
day commuting vehicles.

Please don't lump me in with BOB but how cheap do you think petro-
based fuel would be if the only people who needed it were long-haul
truckers, locomotives, race cars and road-trip vacation families? How
much fuel do we as a nation waste idling in traffic every day
commuting to and from work?

I damn well refuse to move to any other nation. I love America and I
always say the American philosophy these days is "have your cake and
eat it too". That means WE should (and will) develop and control new
energy technology. I want a car that looks sexy, goes 0-60 mph in 3.2
seconds, makes zero emissions, has a 300 mile range and is affordable
to operate and purchase. Instead of sitting around bitching about how
the French already have it, I'll make it myself if the industry won't
accomodate me. That's just our way. We should work to improve
ourselves instead of whining about how everyone else is better than we
are.

Rich A.

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte