[DMCForum] Re: Dave's new car? (Pollution Central)

[DMCForum] Re: Dave's new car? (Pollution Central)

Just tell people that you're offsetting Rich's activities to maintain
balance and equilibrium in the environment. Sounds good, eh?

Regarding Rochester carburetors -- I've always considered them
unnecessarily complicated (the 2SE on my AMC is a scary piece of
hardware too). The theory is to provide a myriad of metering options.
In actual practice they are full of check balls, vacuum passages,
valves and weights, etc. Somebody told me once the Quadrajet has
something like 75 moving parts -- run away, run away. This is how
badly they age: the most common Quadrajet replacement is a *HOLLEY*.

The Carter AFB only has two sets of metering passages (and the idle
circuit of course). There isn't even a check ball to switch between
them. The only moving parts are the choke plate, float/needle valve,
primary metering rods, and accelerator pump (which is a piston, not a
diaphragm). Like Autolites, there is only one leak proof casting (and
a top of course). Metering options may be more limited, but I'd argue
you come out ahead in the long run.

Oh -- you don't even need to take the top off to change the primary
metering rods (do need to open it to change any of the jets, but
that's nothing but a thing). Curiously, the floats and needle valve
are attached to the top casting, not the base unit -- run a rubber
hose to a remote filter so you can simply flip the top over and lay it
anywhere while you change the jets.

Biggest advantage of an Edelbrock carb: for $239 you get a brand new
carburetor, not a rebuild (no vacuum leaks around the throttle plate
shafts).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
> I will send you the pictures separately.  They won't go through the
> list.
>

> Rich Acuti bought an electric car, so I bought a 1968 Cadillac Deville
> Convertible as my new daily car.  That way I can guarantee that the hole
> in the ozone won't get any smaller due to Rich's environmentally
> friendly actions.  I want them there spotted owls to have nice suntans.
> =)
>

> -Dave

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS