[DMCForum] Making a DMC Diesel.

Well, I was making a giant leap there..  :)

DeLorean used the PRV, and Volvo used the PRV with the
M46, Volvo also used the Diesel with the M46..  So one
can conclude that the bolt pattern on the M46 has a
higher chance of being the same as the DeLorean than
some other unknown Diesel.

I made the same leap for the Peugeot 505 Diesel.

It is possible that both Peugeot and/or Volvo had a
different bell housing for each engine... even though
it is the same transmission.

Before investing any money, I'd probably find a
junkyard with the candidate engines and bring along
the DeLorean bell housing..  If you happen to find one
that matches (TELL US!), also make sure the starter
from the diesel will fit in the DMC bell housing,
because the stock DMC starter will probably not be
able to crank a diesel over.  The speed of the starter
is more critical with a diesel than gasoline, if you
don't spin the engine fast enough it will not start.

Thinking about this on the drive home last night, I
may change my plans for 6049 and do a diesel
conversion.  But, I refuse to start another project
before 6068 is done.  My plan was to make 6049 a daily
driver, so if I can get a decent performing diesel in
there and run it on veggie oil it would be great.

Some scary math:

I estimate that I drive 18K miles per year, mostly on
my SHO which (another est) I get about 19 MPG.  So, I
buy approx 950 gallons of gasoline a year.  For the
approx .70 increase in this year, that is close to
$700 more I will spend to fuel my car this year!

My estimated cost of gasoline this year is $2400
(assuming $2.50 per gallon)

With those kinds of numbers, my ROI on a "free fuel"
bio-diesel is not too bad.