[DMCForum] Re: Gas alternatives, then?

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bernie" <bmanderville@xxxx> wrote:
> I was watching Truck TV a few months ago and Stacey acutally made
> some bio-diesel on the show, the system he used was the lye method,
> and he just dumped it into someones truck after removing the
> existing fuel.  He said the truck seemed to have as much or more
> power.  And the exhaust smelled like French fries.  Here is a link
> to the show.
>
> http://www.truckstv.com/show_details.aspx?iid=4996&tid=2

<SNIP>

I saw this show too, and it was VERY informative. The kit he used on
TV however, is VERY expensive. However, you can easily source out the
tanks, pump, and gang valve and build the assembly for allot cheaper.

> I also was reading another article about bio-diesel, that it takes
> more energy to create than regular diesel fuel, so as an
alternative
> fuel the costs are higher, but it is environmentally better.
>
> Bernie

That has most certainly been the case in the past. However, as
the "powers that be" drive up the price of crude oil, the cost
effectiveness of biodiesel's ROE becomes more and more lucrative.
It's all in perspective.

-Robert

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 8/16/05, therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxx> wrote:
> > > The problem with the "greasle" set up is that it requires you
> keep
> > > the fuel warm, and possibly alternate fuels.
> >
> > True. Keeping the fuel warm is fully automatic with the greasel
> kits.
> > Waste engine heat does this for you. You don't have to plug it in
> at
> > night, etc, the veggie oil only needs to be warm when you're
using
> it.
> >
> > You do have to start & stop on diesel, so you'll have two fuel
> tanks.
> > This is a bit of a hassle. I've read somewhere that people have
> come
> > up with modifications to eliminate this hassle. It seems like a
> minor
> > problem to overcome:
> >
> > (from the greasel FAQ section):
> > "Q. What happens if I forget to shut down on diesel?"
> > "A. Its not the end of the world. If it is summer time, more than
> > likely it will start up with just a few more seconds of cranking
> than
> > normal. If it is in the dead of winter you will need to plug in
the
> > block heater and get the engine warm before you attempt to start
> the
> > engine. It is not an issue of permanent damage though, just an
> > inconvenience."
> >
> > > Only rendered biodiesel can truley be poured, and stored just
> like
> > > petroleum diesel can.
> >
> > Huh? You can pour and store veggie oil the same as diesel. It's
> just
> > another liquid and requires no special storage techniques.
> Biodiesel
> > simply has the advantage of being able to throw it in any diesel
> > engine and go, whereas pure veggie oil requires modifications to
> the
> > vehicle.
> >
> > -Ryan

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS