Re: [DMCForum] Re: Gas alternatives, then?

On 8/16/05, therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem with the "greasle" set up is that it requires you to keep
> the fuel warm, and possibly alternate fuels.

True. Keeping the fuel warm is fully automatic with the greasel kits.
Waste engine heat does this for you. You don't have to plug it in at
night, etc, the veggie oil only needs to be warm when you're using it.

You do have to start & stop on diesel, so you'll have two fuel tanks.
This is a bit of a hassle. I've read somewhere that people have come
up with modifications to eliminate this hassle. It seems like a minor
problem to overcome:

(from the greasel FAQ section):
"Q. What happens if I forget to shut down on diesel?"
"A. Its not the end of the world. If it is summer time, more than
likely it will start up with just a few more seconds of cranking than
normal. If it is in the dead of winter you will need to plug in the
block heater and get the engine warm before you attempt to start the
engine. It is not an issue of permanent damage though, just an
inconvenience."

> Only rendered biodiesel can truley be poured, and stored just like
> petroleum diesel can.

Huh? You can pour and store veggie oil the same as diesel. It's just
another liquid and requires no special storage techniques. Biodiesel
simply has the advantage of being able to throw it in any diesel
engine and go, whereas pure veggie oil requires modifications to the
vehicle.

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS