Re: [DMCForum] New Topic: Superchargers

Can I just make a small request - can people stop referring to "the PRV"
when they mean the DeLorean engine? (I know you were more specific, Marc)

The DeLorean engine is basically a Renault Z6W but with 91mm pistons.
Otherwise it's the same.

All PRV's have forged conrods

Z7X PRVs are suited to turbocharging as long as 7.6:1 pistons (flat
crown) are used, and exhaust valves from an A610 are purchased and used,
because they're sodium cooled. The upper ring is fatter, the piston is
tougher, the crank has larger crankpins but this has more to do with the
offset crankpins than the pins not being strong enough in odd-fire.

You can drop Renault 25 turbo internals into a DeLorean engine, but the
snag is that you have to replace the heads, intake manifold and go EFI
to make it work, so you're basically left with the block.

Martin

Marc Levy wrote:

> I have seen photos of a supercharger on a DeLorean.
> However, you will likely encounter the same
> reliability problems as the more common turbocharger
> kits.  For whatever reason, the PRV cannot handle the
> extra power.
>
> Most turbo kits are limited to 6lbs, and even then
> many have cracked rings (or worse).  Some of the
> problems may be related to lean fuel conditions, but
> what convinces me that the DeLorean PRV cannot handle
> long-term forced induction is the amount of work that
> Legend Industries put in to the turbo engines they
> built.  If they could have just bolted on a turbo and
> add more fuel, they would have.
>
> With that said, I think a super charger is a better
> option over the turbo charger for the DeLorean
> application.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS