Re: [DMCForum] Why Parting-Out DeLoreans is not Nessisary.

Re: [DMCForum] Why Parting-Out DeLoreans is not Nessisary.

While I am no fan of parting out cars, and have seen a
number of cars that were restorable that were parted
for profit.... The used part market has an huge impact
on the new part market.

DMCH lowered the prices of a number of parts in the
past year.  I suspect this was due to competition from
used part dealers.

Here is an example;  I had a extra passenger door in
my garage that (looked to me) to have never been
installed on a car.  It was from some of the parts
that Legend Industries had in stock when they closed.
This was a COMPLETE door with all of the internals,
and glass.  Right about the time I listed it on ebay,
I found out that DMCH had lowered the price of the
DOOR SKIN (only the stainless).  I don't remember the
exact numbers, but just like that my "used" (although,
not really) was worth almost nothing.. And it did not
sell on EBay.

The stainless body parts are not exactly wear items.
If you can inspect a fender that came from a 500K mile
car and it looks good, it is just as good as one that
has never been installed.  Because of this fact, I
believe DMCH was not selling enough NOS body parts and
lowered the price.

You can thank people like Bob Miller, and Josh
Handleman for creating competition in the market...
and in like manor you can thank Stephen and James for
lowering the prices to not only make repairing a
DeLorean more affordable, but less profitable to part
out...  The DeLorean used part business is not what it
once was, and if the trend continues there will be
less and less cars parted out.  As long as there are
candidates to be parted out, DMCH will have to keep
the prices competitive.

--- therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
<BIG SNIP>