RE: [DMCForum] A simple task

Right after getting my car at 16 years old, the distributor seized.  I
replaced it myself with a nice Accel unit; my first performance mod.

Fast forward a few weeks... the cigarette lighter outlet did not work.
I stopped at the dealer, and they had a new assembly for $15.  They
offered to put it in for free, and since I went to school directly
across the street from the dealer, I said sure.

Fast forward to 2:30 that day.  I stop over to get my car... they said
it wasn't done yet.  No problem, I said - just give me the outlet
assembly.

No, there was "a lot of other work" done, they said... including having
replaced the distributor, rebuilt the carburetor and more.  They said
they called my house and my mother had okayed the work.  My mom worked,
and was not home during the day, so I called her at work to be sure.  As
I thought, she had not approved the work.

I told them there was no way I was paying for work no one approved, and
just asked for my car back.  They told me I could not have it, as it was
out for a 'test drive'.  It took about 30 minutes to get my car back.

They had not touched the carb - it was still greasy around all of the
mounting bolts.  The mechanic had also stolen my new distributor and
replaced with a rebuild GM unit.  He denied this of course, but could
not produce the old distributor he had removed.  There was miscellaneous
other stuff involved as well, but basically the mechanic had stolen
items from on/in my car, and then drove my car to his house to drop them
off.

On top of all this, the mechanic threatened, "you better shut up if you
know what's good for you - I know where you live" when the service
manager had his back turned.  That was about all I could take.  I
tackled the guy into/through a Coke machine.  I think I was smart enough
to yell "get him off me! Get him off me!" as I tackled him, making him
look like HE attacked ME.

Anyway, he got fired, but the dealer still insisted I pay for the shop
time they spent while stealing from me.  Needless to say I didn't, and
demanded they repay me for parts stolen (which eventually they did).

They actually got their Goodwrench charter revoked sometime thereafter
for a variety of offenses.

I pretty much do my own work on just about everything.

-Dave

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS