From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of therealdmcvegas
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:43 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: eBay project car update... Deloghini...

Your worries here would be well founded. A few months back, there was
a story that was reported on FARK about some guy un upstate New York
who bought an old muscle car back in the 70's (I can't remember if it
was a Mustang, or an Olds). The car was stolen in '82 or so. Fast
forward to 2005. While reading the papers, he saw a sales ad for a
car that was exactly like his, in the area where he used to live in.
He went to see the car, and discovered that the VIN matched, and it
was indeed his car. He went to the police with the old paperwork from
when he reported the car stolen, and had them reposses the stolen
property for him, and eventually the car was returned to him.

Now for the really sad part of this story. The guy who was selling
the car, bought it from the guy who had stolen in back in the 1980's.
And since buying it, had done a COMPLETE restoration on it! So this
guy was out ALLOT of money. But since he bought stolen property, it
is his fault. But it was interesting to see the owner get his car
back in BETTER condition than when it was first stolen.

The current "owner" of this car who took it as collaterall is an
outright idiot for not having the title signed over to them. But
that's their fault. With this new information, I wouldn't touch this
car with a 10' cattle-prod. I'll commend the seller for being honest,
but who wants to get pinched for recieving stolen property if they
buy this car?

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&rd=1&item=456079211
> 1&category=31830
>

> I was going to wait until tomorrow morning to send this but decided
> tonight as the auction is ending soon.  I am a bit tired, so I hope
I get
> all of the details correct.  Also, please keep in mind I am -not-
trying to
> sabotage this auction but just passing along information.
>
> I spent some time talking with the person in possession of this
car.  I say
> possession because he does not have a title.  Also, the seller is
not the
> owner but a friend.
>
> This seems to be a long story so I will try and condense
everything.  The
> possessor took the car in lieu of payment from someone that owned
him money.
> I think this was from a rental property.   The renter also used the
title as
> collateral for another loan and apparently defaulted on that as
well.  The
> current possessor is just trying to recover some of his costs by
selling the
> car.
>
> He stated the title will be clear in January 2007, which doesn't
make sense
> to me.  I was told the person holding the title may soon pass on
and then it
> could be released earlier.  The West Virginia DMV told me there
were two
> liens on the title, and the current possessor had no right to sell
the car
> whatsoever.  In other words, he legally can not sell the car.
Apparently
> the car can not be parted out legally, either.
>
> I was also told the car has not ran in six years, but has been
stored inside
> until recently.  The garage storing the car went out of business,
so it was
> moved to where you see it now.  The car has apparently sat outside
for about
> a year now, like it can be seen in the pictures.
>
> I was planning to bid on this car but in light of this recent
information
> have decided not to.  My worries would be someone trying to reclaim
the car,
> and losing the money I paid.  Again, all disclaimers are in place
here and
> this is just my opinion based on what I understood during the phone
> conversations.
>
> I hope this made sense. :)
>
> Greg

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS