[DMCForum] Re: Unique Red Doubledecker Buses?

[DMCForum] Re: Unique Red Doubledecker Buses?

The term Martin & I were going roundabout was "London Bus", not
"Double Decker Bus".

There are double decker buses all over the world. The question was: is
there something distinctly London about a "London Bus". My contention
is that there is:
- Designed by London Transport for its own use
- Open rear platform versus folding doors, especially in today's world
I further contend that these particular buses remain in service
because they are so uniquely suited to service in Central London.

In fact, that's how the whole argument started: Martin wanted to know
why those ancient & polluting buses were still in service. I replied
that it is because of their unique suitability, so much so that Brits
themselves identify them as "London Buses".

When I was in school over there, it was explained to me that a "London
Bus" is the uniquely identifiable AEC Routemaster, versus the Leyland
"Double Decker" buses of Glasgow & Edinburgh. Of course I was in
Scotland, not England, so this may have been a regional
identification. Next time I talk to my uncle I'll ask him if the term
is used in the Lake District (northwest England).

Anyway, its a moot point now. I've declared Martin the winner. He's
more British than me.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, doctorDHD@xxxx wrote:
> What about all the red double decker buses in New York City?
>
> <<  But it is absolutely the case that the only unique thing
> about modern (central) London buses is that they're red - unless
someone can
> show me otherwise.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS