[DMCForum] Re: American Clangers (Martin Gutkowski)

[DMCForum] Re: American Clangers (Martin Gutkowski)

Listening to you two bicker back and forth just reminds me of the
dinner scene from "The Meaning of Life". Specificly the Grim Reaper's
speech...

"Let me tell ya something!"

Around here, if it's a two-level bus, we refer to them as, "Hey,
that's one of those double-decker busses from London! You know, from
Eng-ga-land!"

I have no idea if they pass emissions testing or not, because they're
always derelict, and parked outside of bars/pubs to act as billboards
with the name of said establishment painted on the side.

Glad I too could jump in onto this dog-pile, and help try to clear
things up from MY perspective as well...

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Just checked -- University of Stirling is still very much in
business.

> My Uncle is actually ordained Episcopalian, but Church of England
> recognized the Anglican Communion (he's still an American citizen
> BTW). I believe his title over there was "Vicar". He was also the
> registrar of various government documents.
>
> In the Lake Country, Barrow-in-Furness is simply called "Barrow".
>
> My ex-wife really is charming, if not wrapped completely tightly.
>
> I have travelled through England, Wales, and Scotland ("Great
> Britain") but never Northern Ireland ("The United Kingdom").
>
> Dartmoor is technically a forest, but it looks more like a moor to
me,
> so I don't call it a "forest". Seems demeaning to places that
actually
> have trees.
>
> I believe the county is known simply as "Devon". I use the word
> "Devonshire" to refer to that whole peninsula (Devon, Cornwall,
etc).

> The cliffs outside Wick are indeed quite steep, and the North Sea is
> very impressive crashing against them.
>
> Okay, I give -- what clangs?
>
> Bill Robertson

> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx>
<SNIP>
> > I tell you what, Bill. You've just dropped an absolute classic
American
> > clanger in that last paragraph. The sort that's continually joked
about
> > on British TV when taking the piss out of George Bush (or any
given
> > American in the firing line at the time - Bush tends to cop it
most
> > though and I feel safe using him as an example because I get the
> > impression most of you guys think he's a pratt too)
> >
> > Do you know what particular booboo you made?
<SNIP>

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS