Re: [DMCForum] Re: History of AEC Routemaster London Bus (MartinGutkowsk

Re: [DMCForum] Re: History of AEC Routemaster London Bus (MartinGutkowski)

The Routemaster may be the typical postcard London Bus but Martin is
right in that any bus operated by London Transport is a London Bus (even
if it isn't a red double decker...).

From the Wikipedia page you referenced: "The AEC Routemaster is a model
of double-decker bus" - it doesn't say that the Routemaster is *the*
London Bus. ..

The website of the London Bus Preservation Trust has a list of buses
they/their members own (see
http://www.kevinmcgowan.org/vehicles/html/vehicles.html) which includes
single deckers, double deckers, red buses, green buses etc.

Darren
#12180 - London, England

content22207 wrote:

>The AEC Routemaster was designed by London Transport specifically for
>operational characteristics of the central city -- narrow streets with
>no bus pullovers:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routemaster
>The open rear platform is key to this operation. *THAT'S* why open
>platform double decker buses are called "London Buses", versus other
>manufacturers without open platforms such as Leyland, which are simply
>"double decker buses".
>
>This is how arguments with you continue -- you simply refuse to admit
>the truth. "London Buses" were designed by LONDON TRANSPORT. They are
>truly "London Buses" in every sense of the word. The only buses in
>commuter service over there with open platforms are "London Buses".
>Your very own country people admit as much -- perhaps you could do the
>same...
>
>Urp.
>
>Bill Robertson
>

>>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
>>This is how arguments with you start Bill - you write something wrong,
>>that then gets pointed out, then you re-write the same post claiming
>>it's what you said in the first place, which it wasn't. Go and re-read
>>your original post.
>>
>>London buses are double decker buses painted red with "London
>>

>Transport"

>>written on the side and are generally found around the streets of
>>London. It ain't rocket science.
>>
>>Martin
>>
>>content22207 wrote:
>>

>>>I'm talking about the open platform being "London Buses". Of course
>>>double deck buses are all over your country (UK -- they're quite
>>>prevalent in Scotland's larger cities too). But they're all
>>>conventional entry units without conductors. When I was in school, the
>>>AEC units were the only ones called "London Buses" (nice British
>>>people explained this to me). And the last time I was in London (2000)
>>>people were indeed still climbing on & off as the bus merely slowed
>>>down, much less actually came to a complete stop. Very efficient, if
>>>not totally safe.
>>>
>>>The sky is blue...
>>>
>>>Bill Robertson
>>>

>Yahoo! Groups Links