[DMCForum] Re: Traffic (Martin Gutkowski)

[DMCForum] Re: Traffic (Martin Gutkowski)

Haze in California is easy to explain. The first part is
aggriculture. In central California's San Joaquin Valley, cows
outnumber automobiles by a significant number, and expell a huge
amount of methane. But there is lots of out-dated farm equipment in
use, running vintage diesel engines that the farmers just refuse to
replace.

The other thing are old cars. Almost anywhere else in the United
States, cars will rust. Whether it's road salt, humidity, or salt
air, cars here will naturally rust. But not in California. In Los
Angeles, it's not uncommon to see old clunkers blowing smoke. There
are still many cars from the 60's that are rolling around on the
streets. Old cars like this are valuable. Not only are they vintage
and desirable, but lower income people love them, because they don't
have to worry about passing emissions with them.

Since cars just don't die in California, they've had to result to
strict emissions standards in an effort to get all these old cars off
the road. And in some other cases, their crusher programs to outright
destroy cars.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> How then do you explain the permanent haze over Los Angeles, which
> boasts the toughest emissions regulations in our country?
>
> Ain't no haze over this part of North Carolina... (haze in our
> mountains is blowing over from Tennessee, mostly due to coal fired
> power plants).
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx>
wrote:
> > I think he means that traffic jams, produce more pollution than
free
> > flowing traffic. So he, who never gets stuck in traffic, produces
less
> > than a clean modern car in traffic.
> >
> > Personally I think this is rubbish. A cat equipped vehicle
produces not
> > a lot more than carbon dioxide and water. A de catted car
produces a
> > whole load of other shit
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > Marc Levy wrote:
> >
> > > No argument there.. Traffic does suck, and many
> > > decisions are made based on traffic..  Especially
> > > living near the Jersey shore, all "locals" know what
> > > roads to avoid in the summer.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS