Re: [DMCForum] Re: REAL flux capacitor...

Re: [DMCForum] Re: REAL flux capacitor...

Robert -

> More than you know... Try working tech support to see what I mean.

Been there, done that. Put in my 3 years. Thankfully this wasn't
random call-in support, rather, I supported an office of about 100
people. So I was right there next to the users and actually got to
know each of them pretty well. Most of them were wonderful people who
just didn't know much about computers. There were some crazy moments -
the unplugged monitor ("it doesn't work!"), the 17" monitor @ 640x480
because, at 800x600, the user couldn't read it at all. "But there's
NOTHING wrong with my glasses! It's this monitor!" (I replaced it
three times before realizing the higher resolution was the user's
problem)

The classic is the jerk who called me up with a broken laptop. These
laptops had 4MB of on board memory and another 16MB in an expansion
slot. The 16MB would fall of out it's slot under the keyboard if the
laptops were jarred hard or dropped. They'd then be terribly slow due
to the lack of memory. So this guy calls, "I can't get my work done,
my laptop doesn't work right, my project is late and THIS IS ALL YOUR
FAULT." I go down to check it out. Recognizing the problem
immediately, I take the laptop back to my office for a quick 10 minute
repair, meanwhile enduring ranting and raving about how completely
inept I am because this laptop I haven't touched in over a year no
longer works properly. I pop the keyboard out, sure enough the memory
is loose in there so I pop it back in. Put things back together. Then
I start looking at this system and there are big cracks in the back of
the case. So I ask the user, "What happened to this laptop?" ...
*mumbling*... "How did these cracks get here?" ... "*mumble*, I, uh,
dropped it out of the overhead flight bin on the airplane." .. Me: "I
see. And this is my fault, right? You dropped your laptop, broke it,
and that makes me completely inept?" .. *more mumbling*. "The next
time you break your equipment, I suggest you treat me with a little
more respect, otherwise I'm not going to fix it."

He never did apologize. He never asked me for help again, either. Too
embarassed, I guess.

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS